2005. Hmong American New Year Banquet, Minneapolis, MN.
5 Things You Need to Know About This Picture
1. I love gold. Gold earrings, gold embellishments, gold heels (unpictured), gold handbag (unpictured), and gold hair. Can you tell?
2. The Hmong American New Year kindly invited me as a guest performer for their annual banquet as I took first place that year at their vocal contest.
3. I performed a cover of Luj Yaj's "Muaj Ib Hnub," which was requested by a former Hmong professor in the summer of 2004. Who knew it'd become a favorite of my listeners, including the judges I performed for.
4. Although I cringed while watching this 10-year-old video, I am grateful to realize the evolution of my singing and performing abilities. I promise you will never see anymore hand gestures resembling tus noog from me.
5. I am grateful for vocal contests in the Hmong community. Of course, I would agree with many music artists that we still need more development and professionalism in the Hmong vocal competitions. But without the vocal contests I entered years ago, I may not be where I am today.